Log in

Love Across the Pond
Anglophilia. And, um, Yankophilia.
immigration lawyer info 
22nd-Nov-2012 11:05 am
has anyone gone through an immigration lawyer? i have been together with my bf for ten yrs.he is in the uk and i am here in the US.We have talked a lot about the best route for us to take to get him here but he is having a very difficult time finding jobs here being in the UK he's applied for a lot but everyone seems to want a US citizen.We have discussed the marriage route and im all for it but he doesnt feel comfortable with me having to support him financially until he is able to work here and our families are very old school in that respect.I say to hell what our families say because its us making the decision but he doesnt want to go against their wishes as such.Can anyone help with getting an immigration lawyer and how do u know its legit? I think with someone to help who knows more and can put us in the right direction would help a ton.Im willing to spend the money to get him here because i dont want to lose my soulmate and its been ten yrs something has to happen! any info would help a ton i am desperate i just want us to be together already!
22nd-Nov-2012 06:29 pm (UTC)
Waste of time and money. The paperwork is intimidating, but if you've got no huge problems to consider (police record, severe health issues etc) you can handle it all yourself. The lawyer will be paid to occasionally answer a simple question (and 9/10 the answer can be found for free on VisaJourney) and sit on their ass.

He doesn't need to be supported financially by you, or rather, no more than anyone would moving across country. You can purchase a work permit with a fiance visa (I don't think you need one with a marriage visa) and as soon as he finds a job, he's fine. You'll be financially responsible for him, as in if he skips town with a bunch of debts, you'll be required to honor them, but that's it.
22nd-Nov-2012 07:17 pm (UTC)
so once u apply for the fiance visa how long til u are able to purchase a work permit with it? he doesnt want to be out of a job for months at a time and not have income where id have to support him for a long period of time,which is a nice thought but id be willing to do all it takes to just get him here! lol.
22nd-Nov-2012 08:18 pm (UTC)
You can't come into the country until you have a visa and they don't grant a work permit without a visa. Typically a fiance visa takes between four and seven months (or at least it did in my case) and I believe the work permit takes effect as soon as he arrives in the US. He can then work while he waits for his Adjustment of Status, and when he's granted permanent residency he won't need a permit any longer.

I'd suggest you both read up on Visa Journey, there's a lot of really helpful advice on there and the people on the forums are really great.
22nd-Nov-2012 08:31 pm (UTC)
thank u.I will definately look into that site.we were under the impression that he wouldnt be able to apply for the work visa until he was in the us for a while waiting for that to go through.so if as soon as he's in the us it will take effect that helps even more and if he can work while the adjustment of status goes through that is also a good thing.as i say ive got a lot of research to go through on that site but knowing that helps a ton.
22nd-Nov-2012 08:38 pm (UTC)
You're welcome. Like I said, it's been seven years since I went through the journey myself and I didn't get a work permit, so I might be wrong! But Visa Journey will be able to confirm or deny. :)
This page was loaded Feb 26th 2017, 11:45 pm GMT.