Log in

No account? Create an account
Love Across the Pond
Anglophilia. And, um, Yankophilia.
I don't even know where to start. 
7th-Sep-2012 05:12 pm
Well we can start with I'm in the US and she's in the UK. We've been talking for awhile. I'd like to move to the UK and would like to know the easiest course of action. I looked into a work visa, but I don't think I'm eligiable for any of them(if someone could explain the requirements that would be grat). I have a decent job in the US, it's just the position is not transferrable even though the company I work for is a multi-national company. She doesn't meet the income requirements for a spousal visa, so we are kind of at a crossroads. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to drop me a line. One way or another I'm going to make it work, just need a little guidance.
7th-Sep-2012 10:09 pm (UTC)
I seem to recall that you can stay there for up to six months without any kind of visa or just a tourist visa, so I would start there? Six months is a good length of time to see if the two of you are compatible.
8th-Sep-2012 01:34 am (UTC)
We have planned a couple of visits already, I'm just thinking ahead for the future. If I could get the ball rolling while we were apart that would be ideal. I was just curious to what options are available to us. I'm thinking a work visa is going to be the way to go for us. So that's my next task, to figure out what all is needed to get a sponsor and a visa.
8th-Sep-2012 02:10 am (UTC)
Document your contact -- photos of email subject lines help, real mail, photos, travel info. Speaking of travel, there are some trans-Atlantic cruises that look pretty cool.
8th-Sep-2012 02:16 am (UTC)
Yeah, she mentioned to me the other day about having a log of all our contact. Plus it also helps that we created email accounts just for one another so we could keep everything separate. I think that's a great idea. Thanks for your input.
8th-Sep-2012 02:46 am (UTC)
Oh, if you ship any gifts or buy something mail-order, that's good information to keep, too.
8th-Sep-2012 03:28 am (UTC)
Yeah, actually she has mailed me a couple of letters and what not. We are going to leave and extensive paper trail. Will that truly help in the long run?
8th-Sep-2012 11:51 am (UTC)
It really does, in both the US and the UK. Pix every day -- not too mushy -- during each visit help, too. Bonus points for pix of you meeting her relatives, or vice versa.

They are looking for proof that it's a real relationship, not a scam (and I think they also like to see proof it's not a brief infatuation).
8th-Sep-2012 06:44 am (UTC)
The requirements just recently changed. On uky they have many threads about it. But to go the spousal route is much harder now.
8th-Sep-2012 08:50 am (UTC)
I'm not super familiar with them, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Have you considered a student visa? You could come into the country as a student and live with your partner. After two years you could consider an unmarried partner visa. The student visa route isn't cheap... You'll need to fund your studies and show that you can support yourself while you're here, but none of the options you have will be cheap or easy. :\
This page was loaded Apr 22nd 2018, 8:37 am GMT.