Log in

No account? Create an account
Love Across the Pond
Anglophilia. And, um, Yankophilia.
Help with visa and stuff! 
17th-Mar-2013 06:03 pm
Indie Author
Hi, I'm in an LDR with an American guy and I'm in the UK. We've talked about how to get us both in one place and he wants to move to the UK, and we've talked about getting married and going down the fiancé visa and such. The problem is that for him to qualify he is not allowed to use public funds for the first six months or so until he can start working. I live in a council house and receive benefit to pay my rent. Now I seem to remember reading somewhere that if he paid the rent with his own money he would still be allowed to live here, is that correct? If so, could anyone post a link to something saying that? I know that once we were declared as partners I would lose some of my benefit, but if he could support the pair of us by paying our rent and council tax, would that be okay? Do you know if I would still be eligible for my benefits until he started working? Since his income would be £0 apart from whatever money he has to support us, or would my claiming count as using public funds?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm exhausted and about to head to bed, so was hoping someone would have the answers I need or could at least point me in the right direction. Thanks to anyone who can help!

Cross-posted to loversfaraway
17th-Mar-2013 06:08 pm (UTC)
Apparently my comment is spam.. hrm.
17th-Mar-2013 06:09 pm (UTC)
Let's try again - to get a spousal visa the UK spouse must earn at least £18,600/year unless you fit a few small categories. I'd ask on a more popular form - like UKY - but if you're getting housing benefits it's unlikely you'd qualify.. I'd look into it more before you get your heart set on it. :(
17th-Mar-2013 06:11 pm (UTC)
Sorry for a 3rd reply, unsure why I've been marked as spam :P

But the only categories you can get around the income requirement are, "You will be exempt from the new financial requirement if your sponsor receives a specified disability-related benefit or carer's allowance in the UK. You will need to show that your sponsor can maintain and accommodate you without access to public funds." Also, if you have a significant savings I think you might be able to get around it. But the UKY forum would be your best bet! (I did it under the old rules.)
17th-Mar-2013 10:31 pm (UTC)
I do have a disability benefit, so maybe I would fit into that exemption. I'll ask at the forum, was wondering if he is the one with savings and plans to support the both of us whether that would be enough...

Thanks for the info! I'll head over to the forum you mentioned!
(Deleted comment)
18th-Mar-2013 07:32 am (UTC)
That sucks because I'm only allowed £500 of savings before it affects my benefits and then I have to live off them. I'll have to see if we qualify under the disability rules.

Thanks for the info!
(Deleted comment)
18th-Mar-2013 07:38 am (UTC)
Thanks, I do have that amount left after rent and council tax are paid and the lady on UK-Y was able to answer my other questions about if he could live with me and my own benefit situation.

Thanks again :D
19th-Mar-2013 03:53 am (UTC)
I was in your situation when I met my now husband. I was receiving disability benefit, income support with the disability component and DLA higher rate mobility and middle rate care. I owned my own (tiny 1 bed) home mortgage-free so didn't claim Housing Benefit.

To cut a very long story short I now live in the USA because I could not meet the criteria for support due to my benefit claiming status. The US immigration service is not allowed to discriminate against you because you are disabled, only if you are likely to become reliant on the government for your income (I've forgotten the exact terminology). I was fortunate that my husband earns enough to support me here in the US.

The UK government doesn't really want the likes of us long term disabled benefit scroungers bringing Johnny Foreigner into the country at their expense. That's the impression I was left with at least. Look into your options for going to the US, it is definitely the easier route, if your other half has a decent job, that is.
26th-May-2014 02:47 am (UTC)

My fiancé lives there she's been there for 15 years so she is able to stay in the UK she has 3 kids and currently going to court to remove her son .
I live in America now .Been back and forth visiting and she used to live here she lived a block away from me growing up
. And I'm looking to come stay there . but the money issue that 18000 pounds is stopping us. It is very hard for her there and would be better I'm there

I'm to come I want to be able to work.
She have to kids to deal with is a hand full and no way is gonna find something that pays that

I am an auto mechanic and drive truck
We really need to be in the same place
is a way around this money issue

Thanks Norman Pitt
This page was loaded May 22nd 2018, 10:08 am GMT.